Magistrates’ Court Minor Offences

MTHLawyersCriminal Law

If you are going to the Magistrates’ Court for a minor criminal offence(s) you most likely have many questions about the process, what you should do and what your options are.

It is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible. Your solicitor will be able to answer some of the most commonly asked questions which will assist you in making informed decisions about your particular case:

  • Should I plead guilty or not guilty?
  • What is the likely penalty that I will receive?
  • Can I be sent to prison for this crime?
  • What will happen in the court room?
  • Can I appeal if I am found guilty?
  • Should I have a lawyer represent me? What are the advantages of this?
  • If I seek legal representation, how much will it cost me?
  • This is my first offence; can I seek to go on some sort of program?
  • Can I delay the court date?

No matter how minor the charge may be, if the Magistrate finds you guilty, you may get a criminal record. Having a criminal record could have negative consequences if you are requested to provide a Police Check when applying for a job, insurance, or licenses of various kinds. A criminal record can seriously restrict you from pursuing employment opportunities in particular industries.

If you have been charged with a criminal offence please call Michael Helman of our firm. Michael is an experienced criminal lawyer and regularly appears at the Magistrates’ Court on behalf of his clients. He will provide you with advice that is easy to understand and assist you in making informed decisions about your case.

We have also provided a link to the Victoria Legal Aid “Your day in court” booklet which briefly explains the Magistrates’ Court process in relation to minor offences.

Click on the button below for the Victoria Legal Aid “Your day in court” booklet:

Download Guide